FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 05/03/2018
Automotive and Display Industries Converge at SID/DSCC Automotive Display Market Focus Conference, Display Week 2018 MFC to Feature Senior Automotive Experts from General Motors, BMW, JD Powers, Strategy Analytics and More
The Society for Information Display (SID), together with Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC), today announced the full conference agenda for the upcoming Automotive Display Market Focus Conference (MFC), to be held on Tuesday, May 22nd, at the Los Angeles Convention Center during Display Week 2018. This conference, part of Display Week’s powerful Business Track, will bring together display and automotive industry experts to examine a broad range of topics associated with the vehicle display ecosystem.
Commenting on the MFC’s outstanding group of industry experts in the automotive space, DSCC Co-Founder & President Bob O’Brien said, “We’ve gathered experts across the automotive display supply chain, and some of the most insightful analysts of the automotive industry, to share their vision with conference attendees. From new material advances, to the development of new display technologies, to the system integration by Tier 1 suppliers, to the requirements and vision of the industry’s leading OEMs, this conference puts together a comprehensive view of the automotive display space.”
The conference will kick off immediately following the morning’s general Display Week keynote sessions. Attendees at the MFC will hear from an array of industry leaders addressing hot automotive display topics in four sessions. Full conference agenda and details are below.
11:10 AM – 12:30 PM Session 1: The Opportunity in Automotive Display
- Kristin Kolodge, Executive Director, Driver Interaction and Human Machine Interface at JD Power, will describe how consumer sentiment regarding automated vehicles is weighed down by a growing level of skepticism for the technology. Displays will provide a strategic and influential means to have a dialogue with the consumer to build trust, and more.
- Tara Akhavan, Co-Founder & CTO of IRYStec will discuss the importance of Perceptual Displays, a concept increasingly adopted by automotive customers, allowing display technologies/software that compensates for what we really see in the wide range of conditions in the auto, rather than blindly following standards.
- Roger Lanctot, Director Automotive Connected Mobility at Strategy Analytics will outline the opportunity in automotive displays from both a quantitative and qualitative perspective and provide his insights on the role of displays in the shift to autonomous vehicles.
1:30 – 2:15 PM Session 2: Displays in Autonomous Vehicles
- Dr. Karlheinz Blankenbach, President/Chairman of the German Flat Panel Forum and Professor at Pforzheim University, will present on how autonomous driving will change the use and design of cars. As a consequence, more and larger displays will be integrated in a design-driven way. Hardware and software requirements for e.g. HMIs will dramatically increase.
- DSCC’s Bob O’Brien will lead a Q&A panel session including Karlheinz Blankenbach, Kristin Kolodge, Tara Akhavan, Roger Lanctot, and Tom Seder from GM
2:15 – 3:45 PM Session 3: Flat Panel Displays Reshape the Auto Interior
- Robert Isele, Manager Interior Light from BMW AG, Munich will describe the considerations made by BMW in integrating new technologies into the automotive interior.
- Simon Jones, Commercial Director at FlexEnable will present on OLCD technology that enables new use cases for automotive displays made possible only with flexible, large area displays.
- Dr Seth Coe-Sullivan, Vice President of Technology at Lumint will discuss ““Thin Film Optics for the Automotive HUD Ecosystem”, creating some “new area” for displays in cars, with some technology going into lights, windows, and mirrors.
- Roman Fernandez, Senior Consultant at Roland Berger will present on "The Future of the Vehicle HMI Industry"
- Mina Lee, Senior Manager, Market Intelligence New Mobility, LG Displays will describe how LGDs innovations in both LCD and OLED are driving increasing value in automotive displays.
4:00 – 5:30 PM Session 4: Head-up Displays and Augmented Reality
- In a joint presentation, Dr. Thomas Seder, GM Technical Fellow & Chief Technologist – HMI, General Motors R&D will combine with two executives from Envisics: CEO Jamieson Christmas, Ph.D. and Executive Vice President, Automotive Patricia Scarpaci. In this presentation, the barriers that must be overcome to bring Augmented Reality HUD to market will be described from both an AR HUD supplier and OEM perspective. In particular, the many HUD design challenges posed by the unique AR HUD requirements will be discussed and solutions will be described.
- Pablo Richter, Principal Technical Expert Optical Technologies at Continental Automotive GmbH will present on the latest developments in holographic waveguide augmented reality head-up displays.
- Tim Lloyd, SVP Engineering and Product Planning for Pioneer Automotive Technologies will discuss a head-up display system based on raster scanning LASER/MEMS technology and its relative advantages and challenges when compared to conventional systems. Additionally, the presentation concludes with an introduction to flexible film OLED technology for automotive applications.
- Michael Firth, Marketing Manager at Texas Instruments will describe how DLP technology can enable new capabilities in the automotive space, both in HUD and in smart headlamps.
Conference fees include lunch, refreshments, access to the Display Week exhibit hall and Tuesday morning keynotes, along with electronic copies of the presentation material and admission to the Monday evening networking reception. Tianma Microelectronics has sponsored the conference in 2017 and again in 2018 as a Silver Sponsor.
About Display Week 2018
The 55th SID International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition, or Display Week 2018, will take place May 20-25 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, Calif. Display Week is the premier gathering of system integrators, designers, consumers, scientists, engineers and manufacturers in the field of electronic information displays. For more information on Display Week 2018, visit www.displayweek.org or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter @DisplayWeek (hashtag #DisplayWeek18), Instagram @siddisplayweek or the Display Week YouTube Channel.
Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) was formed by experienced display market analysts from throughout the display supply chain and delivers valuable insights through consulting, syndicated reports and events. The company has offices in the US, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and the UK. DSCC is on the web at www.displaysupplychain.com and can be reached in the US at firstname.lastname@example.org or (770) 503-6318.