2020 Foldable Display Technology and Market Report
The 209-page 2020 Foldable Display Technology and Market Report combines and updates our 2018 report which was more technical with our 2019 report which was more market focused. We think this report represents the best of both approaches. It provides all the relevant cost, price, technology, capacity, roadmap, benchmarking and shipment forecasts companies in the smartphone, tablet, notebook, display, materials and equipment segments need to understand the outlook for foldable displays and technology.
File Format209-page PDF report with shipment forecasts in MS Excel pivot tables
The 209-page 2020 Foldable Display Technology and Market Report provides the following deliverables:
- Examines the status, strategy, film stacks and shipment data for all current devices. It identifies the suppliers, film thicknesses and types of films used in each device.
- Provides the foldable roadmap for each brand.
- It identifies 26 different foldable products on the market today or in development for release between 2020 and 2022.
- Reveals detailed specifications for upcoming foldable devices such as panel size, resolution, panel supplier, aspect ratio, DPI, type of fold, cover window solution, intro timing, etc. All the major specifications for the Galaxy Fold 2 are included.
- Examines the key technologies being worked on to advance foldable devices which includes:
- Ultra-thin Glass – It explains SCHOTT’s solution and commercial strategy as well as Dowoo Insys’ unique process for handling, treating and cutting UTG as well as a price forecast for UTG.
- CPI and Hard Coats – the latest hardness and scratch resistance results are revealed showing some significant improvements coming for scratch resistance performance on upcoming foldable devices.
- Thin Film Encapsulation(TFE) – reveals recent developments to improve performance and enhance flexibility.
- Polarizers vs. Color on Encapsulation (COE) – will patterned color filters replace polarizers for foldables? What is the roadmap and will reflectivity performance be good enough for high-end models?
- External vs. Integrated Touch – how much integrated touch capacity is coming and will it dominate all flexible OLED applications?
- Under Panel Cameras – are they coming for foldable displays? What are the challenges and how is it being implemented?
- A capacity forecast is then provided which reveals flexible OLED fab schedules and unyielded and yielded capacity by panel supplier. Capacity is expressed in 6.6” equivalents and area. Capacity and demand are then compared.
- A detailed bill of materials is then provided and forecasted for the following panels:
- 6.67” 2636 x 1080 with UTG;
- 7.29” 2152 x 1536 with CPI;
- 17.3” 2560 x 1920 with CPI and add-on touch;
- 17.3” 2560 x 1920 with CPI and Y-OCTA touch;
- A very detailed forecast is then provided for all foldable display shipments and revenues. The following forecasts are provided:
- Foldable smartphone shipments/revenues by brand by size by resolution and aspect ratio from 2018-2025.
- Foldable smartphone panel shipments/revenues by panel supplier by brand by size, resolution, aspect ratio and DPI from 2018-2025.
- Foldable smartphone panel prices by panel supplier by brand by size and resolution.
- Foldable smartphone street prices by brand by size.
- Foldable smartphone unit share and revenue share by panel supplier and brand by size and price band.
- Foldable smartphone units and revenues by price band by brand.
- Foldable tablets and notebooks by size and resolution and panel revenues.
- The future of smartphones beyond today’s current foldable devices.
With this report, you can find out:
- What foldable products are coming?
- Which products will use cover film vs. ultra-thin glass? What are the biggest challenges for the proliferation of UTG?
- What are the key factors in assessing hard coats and which products have the best scratch resistance?
- What volumes are likely by brand, by panel supplier, by size, by resolution, by form factor and by price band?
- Which form factors are likely to dominate?
- Which brands are expected to lead?
- Where are foldable display costs and prices going?
- What are the biggest roadblocks for faster foldable penetration?
- And more