Annual Quantum Dot Display Technology and Market Outlook Report
Quantum dots have been used for nearly a decade to enhance colors in LCD panels. An emerging application is quantum dots on a MiniLED backlight. DSCC forecasts shipments of MiniLED LCD TVs with QDEF to grow from 6.2M units in 2022 to over 14M units in 2026. However, other technologies and materials are also emerging in the market. For instance, perovskite materials can provide higher efficiency and a wider color gamut than other QD materials and are expected to begin shipping in 2022. Perhaps the most important development in the industry is the commercialization of the first QD-OLED TVs and monitors, with panels manufactured by Samsung Display. The same quantum dot color converters also have the potential to be used with MicroLED displays.
File FormatPDF Report
Quantum dots (QDs) have become an important alternative to phosphors in display panels. The total annual panel area with QDs continues to increase and is expected to grow from 14M m2 to over 36M m2 between 2021 and 2026.
This report examines why QDs are useful in displays applications and shows different architectures that are currently used or are proposed to be used in future displays. Architectures covered in this report include: Quantum Dot Enhancement Film (QDEF), Quantum Dot Color Conversion (QDCC) and Electroluminescent Quantum Dots (EL-QD).
The report includes the following deliverables:
- Introduces different types of Quantum dots (QDs) that are useful for display applications: - CdSe, InP, ZnSe, ZnTeSe and Halide Perovskites.
- Discusses the European Union's Regulatory of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) imperative and implication in each type of QD architecture.
- Provides a cost breakdown of QDEF and revenues forecasts for films and quantum dot materials.
- Discusses the advantages and challenges of manufacturing QDCC by photolithography and inkjet printing.
- QD-OLED fab capacity and display structure.
- Future applications of QDCC in MicroLED and QNED displays
- Current status of EL-QD (demos, EQE and lifetime)
- Supplier Profiles: Profiles of companies encompass QD IP and material suppliers, perovskite suppliers and QD film suppliers.
Market forecasts to 2026 are included. The report provides the following data:
- Shipments of QDEF LCD TVs with and without MiniLED backlight
- Shipments of QDEF Monitors and Notebooks
- Shipments of QD-OLED TVs and Monitors
- Shipments of MicroLED TVs
- Shipments of devices with perovskite films
- Total QDEF, QDCC and perovskite panel area
- QDEF film revenues
- Perovskite film revenues
- QDEF and QDCC materials revenues
Table of Contents
Executive Summary p.5
Introduction to QD-based Displays p.12
- What are Quantum Dots?
- Color Gamuts
- Types of QD-based Displays
- Classification of QDs
- Cadmium and Cadmium-Free QDs
- Halid Perovskite QDs
LCD with Quantum Dots p.44
- Perovskite Films
Quantum Dot Color Converters (QDCC) p.75
- QDCC Advantages
- Increasing Absorption
- Inkjet Printing (IJP)
OLED with QDCC p.112
- Samsung’s QD-OLED Fab
- QD-OLED Structure
- Material Usage
- Blue Emitters
- Material Costs
MicroLED with QDCC p.137
- MicroLED Manufacturing Routes
- QDCC on Monolithic MicroLED
- QDCC Demos
- Phosphors for MicroLED
Electroluminescent QD p. 158
- Advantages of EL-QD
- Progress in EQE
- Key Players and Demos
QD Market Outlook & Forecasts p. 183
- TV Market
- QDEF Forecast
- QD-OLED Forecast
- IT Applications
QD Material Revenue Forecast p. 199
- QDEF Panel Area
- QDEF Film and Material Revenues
- Perovskite Film Revenues
- QDCC Material Revenues
- Total QD Material Revenues
Supplier Profiles (Alphabetical) p. 207
- Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd (DNP)
- Glotec Co., Ltd.
- Hansol Chemical
- Helio Display Materials
- Hitachi Chemical (Showa Denko Materials)
- i-Component Co., Ltd.
- Kangde Xin Composite Material Group (KDX)
- Kolon Industries Inc.
- Mesolight (Suzhou Xingshou Nanotech)
- Najing Technology
- Ningbo Jizhi Exciton Technology Co Ltd.
- Quantum Materials Corporation
- Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT)
- Wah Hong Industrial Corp
Would you like to know more about this report?Contact Sales