FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 11/07/2022
Despite Downturn in the Display Industry, DSCC Report Reveals MiniLEDs Are Growing Steadily
La Jolla, CA -
While the display industry is suffering through one of its worst downturns in its history, DSCC’s Quarterly MiniLED Backlight Technologies, Cost and Shipment Report revealed that MiniLEDs are a bright spot. Q3’22 MiniLED backlight shipments reached 5.1M units with 30% Q/Q and 158% Y/Y growth.
- In October, Meta launched its new VR device, the Quest Pro. It is embedded with a MiniLED backlight to enhance picture quality. The Quest Pro is the first VR device with MiniLED for Meta. MiniLED has been widely adopted in the IT (tablet, notebook and monitor) and TV fields.
- Apple continued to dominate MiniLED shipments. iPad shipments were 1.4M units and MacBook with 2M units. According to DSCC Director of Taiwan Operations, Leo Liu, “Apple MiniLED shipments have more than 70% share of total MiniLED products. We expect to see the same situation before 2025, due to OLED adoption in the iPad after 2024 and MacBook after 2025.”
Looking forward, DSCC forecasts MiniLED Backlight shipments by quarter through 2022 and by year through 2026. Some other highlights from the Quarterly MiniLED Backlight Technologies, Cost and Shipment Report:
- MiniLED panel shipments for all applications were 9.8M panels in 2021 and we expect them to reach 37M panels in 2026;
- The highest Y/Y growth will be 88% in 2022 and drop to 17% in 2026;
- Notebook will be the main driving force for MiniLED growth before 2026;
- The 12.9” iPad Pro and 14”/16” MacBook Pro will maintain a large contribution to MiniLED tablet & notebook shipments before 2025;
- OLED will be adopted in the iPad in 2024 and in the MacBook Pro in 2025. This will have a big impact on MiniLED;
- Samsung, LG and main TV brands in China continue to push MiniLED TVs to market. This will drive TV to become the largest application for MiniLED shipments after 2026;
- Apart from IT and TV displays, MiniLEDs are starting to penetrate into more applications such as AR/VR, automotive, medical, etc.
The latest MiniLED report provides a comprehensive analysis on shipments, a technology update, cost breakdown/analysis, new product update/roadmap, new/current product supply chain and a forecast to 2026. This valuable information allows subscribers to gain a deeper understanding about MiniLED development and its future.
DSCC’s Quarterly Quarterly MiniLED Backlight Technologies, Cost and Shipment Report includes quarterly data through 2022 and annual data through 2026 by brand, model, panel size, resolution, refresh rate, backplane technology, number of LEDs, dimming zones, etc., and includes panel shipments, MiniLED chip shipments, panel revenues, backlight revenues, panel prices, backlight prices, backlight bill of materials and much more. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
DSCC, a Counterpoint Research Company, is the leader in advanced display market research with offices across all the key manufacturing centers and markets of East Asia as well as the US and UK. It was formed by experienced display market analysts from across the display supply chain and delivers valuable insights, data and supply chain analyses on the display industry through consulting, syndicated reports and events. Its accurate and timely analyses help businesses navigate the complexities of the display supply chain.