FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 04/19/2017
Leading Display Industry Executives to Address Flexible OLED Challenges and Opportunities during Display Week Business Conference
Campbell, CA and Austin, TX -
The Society for Information Display (SID), together with Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC), announced today that leading display industry executives will be convening at the Display Week Business Conference on May 22nd to debate the outlook for flexible OLEDs, which have the opportunity to completely replace LCDs in the mobile phone market and take a significant share in tablets, automotive applications, notebooks and other sectors. The Business Conference kicks off the Business Track that runs through Display Week, which will be held this year at the Los Angeles Convention Center from May 21-26.
Smartphone brands are drawn to OLEDs for their improved display performance and quality, lighter weight, ruggedness as well as their flexible form factor, which enables innovative capabilities and designs—including being foldable and rollable while offering a larger display area. These benefits will enable smartphone brands to increase their prices and breathe new life into a stagnant market searching for new innovations.
According to SID Business Conference Chair, Ross Young, CEO of DSCC, "The anticipation of this emerging flexible OLED demand can be seen in significant price premiums for curved/flexible OLED panels, dramatic flexible OLED capacity growth and record capital spending in 2017 with OLED spending expected to remain at high levels for a number of years. To address this exciting market development, we have brought together executives from throughout the display supply chain to discuss the challenges, opportunities and outlook associated with flexible OLEDs."
According to Sri Peruvemba, SID Marketing Chair, "OLEDs are expected to play a key role in the growth of the display market. DSCC has put together an excellent agenda addressing all aspects of the OLED market. We believe this event, coupled with the numerous Technical Symposium presentations and our special '30 Years of OLED' event, will provide attendees a truly comprehensive look at this dynamic market."
This year's Business Conference will feature a dedicated session on flexible OLEDs.
- Ryan Reith, Program VP for IDC's Mobile Tracker Suite. Mr. Reith will discuss the outlook for the global smartphone market and how flexible OLEDs will impact the market. He will also present smartphone trends by region, display size and other parameters.
- Ross Young, CEO, DSCC will discuss the current status of flexible OLED production, forecasts for flexible OLED production coming online, key challenges and winners and losers. He will also present DSCC's flexible OLED forecast.
- Jalil Shaikh, COO at UniPixel. Mr. Shaikh will discuss the challenges associated with producing touch screens and cover films for flexible, foldable and rollable products and how UniPixel is addressing this opportunity.
- Dr. Neetu Chopra, Technology Marketing Manager at Kateeva. Dr. Chopra will discuss how Kateeva has enabled flexible OLEDs through the development of its ink jet printing tool for printing thin film encapsulation films.
- Yoshio Tamura, President of DSCC. Mr. Tamura will present DSCC's supply/demand outlook for the OLED market. He will discuss OLED fab schedules and supply growth, and the impact of rollable and foldable OLEDs on OLED supply and demand.
In addition to the flexible OLED session, a number of other talks will discuss the OLED technology and market outlook including presentations from:
- Dr. Mike Hack, VP of Business Development at Universal Display, will discuss their latest roadmaps to improve OLED TV performance.
- Dr. Andreas Haldi, CMO, Cynora, will discuss the progress of their blue TADF emitters, which can improve OLED efficiencies, performance, lifetimes and power consumption.
- Dr. Mark Verrall will address developments in LCD materials as well as OLED and quantum dot materials.
- Ross Young, CEO of DSCC, will talk about the impact of OLEDs on capex, the display equipment market, and which companies are likely to be the biggest winners and losers in the OLED era.
- Dr. Brian Shieh, VP and GM of Applied Materials' Display and Flexible Technology Group, will present on how they are enabling flexible OLEDs and addressing the flexible OLED market opportunity.
- Leono Guo, VCSMO, BOE Technology, will address how BOE is primed for the flexible OLED market.
- Yasuo Nakane, Global Head of Technology Research, Mizuho Securities, will speak on how the OLED opportunity is affecting display stocks.
- Bryan Huh, Director, LG Display, will discuss their OLED TV efforts and strategy.
The SID Business Conference is sponsored by Corning, Merck, Applied Materials, Cynora, UDC and Jobs Ohio. The latest agenda is available here. Conference fees include lunch, refreshments, access to the Display Week exhibit hall and Tuesday morning keynotes, along with electronic copies of the presentation material and admission to the Monday evening networking reception. To register, please visit http://displayweek.org/2017/Attendee/Registration.aspx.
Beyond the Business Conference, Display Week 2017 will feature a special emphasis on three decades of innovation and success in OLED technology session, hosting an exclusive OLED event titled "Lighting the Way: Celebrating 30 Years of OLED" on Tuesday, May 23rd, highlighting the dynamic history of this technology from its early R&D days to its evolution as a major force in the display industry:
About Display Week 2017
The 54th SID International Symposium, Seminar and Exhibition, or Display Week 2017, will take place May 21-26 at the Los AngelesConvention Center in Los Angeles, Calif. Display Week is the premier gathering of system integrators, designers, consumers, scientists, engineers and manufacturers in the field of electronic information displays. For more information on Display Week 2017, visit www.displayweek.org or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter @DisplayWeek (hashtag #DisplayWeek17), Instagram @siddisplayweek or the Display Week YouTube Channel.
The Society for Information Display (SID) is the only professional organization focused on the display industry. In fact, by exclusively focusing on the advancement of electronic display technology, SID provides a unique platform for industry collaboration, communication and training in all related technologies while showcasing the industry's best new products. The organization's members are professionals in the technical and business disciplines that relate to display research, design, manufacturing, applications, marketing and sales. To promote industry and academic technology development, while also educating consumers on the importance of displays, SID hosts more than 10 conferences a year, including Display Week, which brings industry and academia all under one roof to showcase technology that will shape the future. SID's global headquarters are located at 1475 S. Bascom Ave., Ste. 114, Campbell, CA95008. For more information, visit www.sid.org.
Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) was formed by experienced display market analysts from throughout the display supply chain and delivers valuable insights through consulting, syndicated reports and events. The company has offices in the US, Europe, Japan, Korea and China.
DSCC is on the web at www.displaysupplychain.com and can be reached in the US at firstname.lastname@example.org or (770) 503-6318.